April 3, 2011

who do YOU say Jesus is?

I've heard that your specific answer to that question is the single most important thing about you.

When I first heard this I tried to think of a theological, wordy, mind blowing answer.. I came up with a few off the top of my head but didn't feel like it accurately explained who Jesus is.. these are a few, "my best friend that has saved me from myself" or "the giver of life" or "the son of God who came to save us from our sins." I know, nothing too special with those answer. I mean if it is the single most important thing about me I was hoping I could up with something better. When I thought about it, my mind started to drift to when Jesus asked His disciples, "Who do people say that I am."
They responded with..“Well some people say you're John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
Then Jesus looks at them and says, "who do YOU say that I am." I think this was a heart question. I think Jesus asked them this because these were His buddies, I think He wanted to know what they were calling Him behind His back. I think He wanted to know who they thought He was deep in their heart.
Then Peter was the only one to answer Jesus, and he said, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

Jesus LOVED this answer. Like I can almost imagine it now.. Jesus just being so pleased that His buddy knew Him for Him. He said to Peter, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” - Matthew 16:17-19

After reading that passage I started to realize what my answer to, "who do you say Jesus is?"
Jesus tells us who He is, He IS the GOD of our situation. He is what we need. Always.

Everyday we face different struggles, temptations, let downs, but Jesus guides us through each particular and different situation it may be. He is the God of..

ELOHIM
God of Power & Might
JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM
"The Lord thy sanctifier"
JEHOVAH-ROHI
"The Lord my shepherd"
JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH
"The Lord who is present"
JEHOVAH-RAPHA
"The Lord our healer"
JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU
"The Lord our righteousness"
JEHOVAH-JIREH
"The Lord will provide"
JEHOVAH-NISSI
"The Lord our banner"
JEHOVAH-SHALOM
"The Lord is peace"
JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH
"The Lord of Hosts"
JEHOVAH-GMOLAH
"The God of Recompense"
EL-ELYON
"The most high God
EL-ROI
"The strong one who sees"
EL-SHADDAI
"The God of the mountains or God Almighty"
EL-OLAM
"The everlasting God"
All of these names can not even accurately describe Jesus' unsurpassable greatness. He IS THAT HE IS. Meaning, that He is the God of your situation. He is the God of your specific needs. He can tailor Himself to suit your every single need.
This ultimately leads to the fact. HE IS ALL YOU NEED.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus, He's the best thing about me. I could go on and on about His greatness but my words will just fall short. So I'll leave it at that.. He has blessed me beyond belief and I try to live everyday being thankful, which is harder than I would like to admit. I love being outside, being with family & friend, quite time with my Bible, and I love some good worship! The color is yellow always makes me happy.